Thursday, January 9, 2014

Welcome to Miami!


It ain’t easy being vegan in Miami. For the past six months I have been learning that truth the hard way. But thankfully, there are emerging signs that things are changing for the better and our lovely city is beginning to join the 21st century and open itself up to plant-based eating. 

But for all the steps toward progress and improvement, it’s still not easy being vegan in Miami, and that's what inspired this new blog.

Vegan 305 is my personal project to help other vegans and part-time vegans find the best (and avoid the worst) of vegan eats, restaurants, products, and experiences in and around Miami. I will also be sprinkling in random posts about things I find that might be funny, strange or interesting here and there, but the main theme centers on veganism. This is a very different kind of vegan blog. Why? Because this blog focuses on Miami – not Fort Lauderdale, not Boca or Delray, and not the Palm Beaches.
Those places are nice, but I don’t appreciate how people from there tend to look down on Miami, like it’s a wild, backwater jungle or something. I can kind of understand why think that - Miami has a lot of rough spots and needs some major cosmetic, cultural, and linguistic improvements - but still, it isn't fair. Miami is not that bad. And I don’t appreciate how all the vegan guides and blogs focus so much on Broward and Palm Beach. They do have an amazing vegan scene going on, but I don’t live there and don’t frequently drive much father north than Fort Lauderdale, so as a Miami-based vegan the focus on those areas is somewhat annoying.  

No– this blog is about what Miami has to offer, occasionally venturing past county lines to explore the vegan life in more northern country. And when I say Miami I am referring to the city itself and its surrounding areas, from Aventura all the way to Homestead. So I cordially invite you, dear reader, to join me on a journey of exploration to uncover and enjoy Miami’s many vegan treasures. Yes, they do exist.

I warmly bid you: Welcome to Miami! 

No comments:

Post a Comment